Easy DIY First Aid Kits





I keep an assortment of med kits for man and beast. Some are pocket-sized for quick fixes. Others are bigger for short day trips and vacations. The biggest ones are for the farm animals. Those I keep in full sized buckets and carry everything from syringes to plastic tubing to birthing supplies.

For this post though, I want to concentrate on mini kits. The kind you can stick in your pocket or luggage.

Only you know for sure what you'll need so your mileage may vary.

The bigger your kit, the more you can vary your medical arsenal. If you have kids you might want to include kid-specific products, like thermometers and baby aspirin.

Even if you never travel with a kit, you should build one just for home use. When someone is sick or injured, you don't want to be scouring all over the house for this or that. I've been there and it's frustrating. If someone is bleeding, you don't have time to search for bandages and antiseptic.

The first part of a good kit is the container, and it can be anything that closes tightly and preferably waterproof.

I've used sturdy Tupperware and an assortment of smaller containers for quick fixes and short trips. Look around your house and see what will fit the bill. I'm willing to bet you'll have something that'll serve.

The next step is to list the things you'll probably need depending on your situation. Here are some suggestions:

• adhesive bandages
• moist towelettes
• aspirin or ibuprofen
• Benadryl cream or pills
• Neosporin
• antacids
• antiseptics like alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
• cotton pads (good for cleaning wounds)
• gauze pads or roll
• small pair of scissors
• latex gloves
• tweezers
• thermometer
• waterless cleaner
• dental floss
• hard candy (for dry mouth or hypoglycemics)

If you're absent minded like me, you'll also carry a small notebook and pen in case you need to take down information.

If you feel safer buying a real first aid kit, here's one from Amazon that's a best seller and has great reviews. The nice thing about a pre-made case is that it's easily identifiable in a crisis.

PS  Be sure to recycle little containers when you get them. They're immensely useful for pocket first aid kits.




Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.



Comments

Angela Brown said…
I didn't think about a med kit before marriage and having a baby, but once I had a family, having a consolidated med kit was so helpful.
Since it's been just me and the kiddo for some time now, I can attest that having a small kit on hand is very comforting. Whenever my kiddo has a scrape, she knows where the kit is at, knows how to clean her wound, apply a dab of Neosporin and let it any dry if it's small or cover with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bandaid if it's still bleeding a bit.
Maria Zannini said…
Angela: Kids change everything. I love that she can take care of herself too. You've raised her right. :)
Stephanie Faris said…
What a great idea! These are essential if you have kids around, but as we get older, I think it's important to have medical kits handy, too!
Maria Zannini said…
Stephanie: I can't count the number of scrapes, cuts, and stings we've endured around the farm. Injuries happen and there's no time to look for things. I like my supplies in one easy to reach place.
betty said…
So true about having a kit like this handy. Kind of like having the candles and whatnot for when the electricity goes out.

betty
Shelley Munro said…
This is a great idea. I need to make something like this for travel. Trying to find plasters in our house is usually an exercise in frustration
Maria Zannini said…
Betty: Exactly. I have flashlights in key rooms of the house and candles in a very specific central location.
Maria Zannini said…
Shelley: You should. You travel so much. I imagine it's not always easy to find bandages or antiseptics in exotic locations.
[…] that you would otherwise have hired out or bought. • Learn to make a PERFECT cup of coffee. • Make a first-aid kit. • Grow potatoes in a pot. • Refinish a worn out […]
[…] #3 First Aid Kit: I did a post on First Aid Kits here. The only other things I would include here are alcohol and iodine–though I prefer Betadine […]