Cut the Cord: Alternatives to Cable


It took me years to convince Greg to quit cable when he lived by himself in SE Texas. In the end, he only did it because he was nearly ready to move back with me. I had failed in my mission to get him to cut out that outrageous expense, but I did manage to convince him not to restart it at the new house.

We make do with other means to get our television fix.

Currently, we use Hulu and Amazon Prime. Although we don't live in the best area for streaming, we still get reliable service. On nights when the internet refuses to cooperate we switch to our library of dvds.



I read a post on a frugal blog where the blogger shamed people for creating dvd libraries. The blogger thought this was most un-frugal behavior. Apparently, he doesn't live in the boonies like we do.

If we lived closer to a library, we'd borrow movies, but since we don't, we've built up quite a collection from garage sales, each dvd costing a dollar or less. That's less than the cost for streaming it, plus we get to keep it or resell it if we get tired of it.

There are many movies we re-watch regularly. Harry Potter movies, Lord of the Rings, any of the Marvel or DC movies, and the classics from the 40s and 50s.

If you're willing to give it a try, you can save a LOT of money by cutting cable. Here are a few options to try.

• Amazon Prime  (under $100 a year) Plus it has free shipping and other perks. Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
• Netflix  (under $100 a year)
• Hulu  (under $100 a year)
• your local library--FREE
• DVD collection from garage sales, or trade with your friends!
• Youtube: $12 a month, but some videos are free.

Bonus: Borrow and trade movies with your friends.

What movies would you watch over and over again? Do you have a DVD library?






Comments

betty said…
I rarely watch TV so I could easily get rid of cable. Hubby does enjoy watching TV and since he is the "main" provider these days its a luxury I put up with, LOL. I need to have fast reliable Internet so we bundle though I wish I could get rid of the land line (can't, need it for work). We did have a DVD library but I sold them on Amazon or whatnot over time since we rarely watched them. Now when we can we rent one from Redbox for $1.63; still a winning considering going to a movie in a theater :)

betty
Maria Zannini said…
Betty: I really dislike going to the movie theater. It's crowded and I never know what kind of sticky stuff I'm stepping or sitting on.

I indulge Greg when it's one of those major blockbusters with lots of special effects, but I'd much rather wait for the dvd. Our tv is pretty nice and at least I know my floors are clean. :)
We cut the cord awhile back and love it. We just recently added Netflix, had Hulu and itTunes from the start. Even when we occasionally buy new episodes of favorite series, it's still cheaper for us than when we had cable.
Maria Zannini said…
Madeline: That was my argument with Greg from the beginning. I could buy a lot of dvds at full price for what it cost to pay cable every month.
Susan Gourley said…
My sister lives in the way-out part of the New York. They also have created a DVD library. It makes good sense.
Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said…
I didn't have cable when I was single because I prefer books to TV. I did create a small library of Beatles DVDs and concert DVDs from other artists. Maybe someday I'll have time to watch them again.
Maria Zannini said…
Susan: The dvd library is nice. I especially like collecting the classics.
Maria Zannini said…
Sandra: So you have cable now?

For us it was always about finding a compromise. Greg really likes cable but I never once missed it and it's been 17 years since I've had cable.
Stacy McKitrick said…
We like sports too much to cut cable. We're probably a little bit lazy, too (okay, a LOT lazy).

We do have a DVD library. It includes movies and television series (yes, I love to re-watch my favorite series). Christmas movies get re-watched the most (since we tend to watch them every Christmas).
Jenny Schwartz said…
Free to air TV for me - and I haven't bought or borrowed a DVD in years. I complain about the rubbish on TV, but I watch it!
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: My best friend and her husband are diehard sports fans, so there's no way they'd cut their cable.

I think this only applies to non-sporting breeds of people. LOL!
Maria Zannini said…
Jenny: I don't like to be tied down to a tv schedule, so I tend to wait until I can stream it and binge on the show. It might take years, but I'm patient. :)
LD Masterson said…
We still like having cable but our son recently got us hooked on streaming Netflix and we're both addicted.
Maria Zannini said…
Linda: We go on streaming binges. It's great for tv shows because we inevitably miss some of them and it's nice to see a series from beginning to end in one go.