Dust Like A Pro





I finally figured it out. I mentioned before that no matter how hard I tried, dusting was one of the hardest things to tackle in my house. It was dusty all the time!

Public Enemy #1 when it comes to cleaning.

Part of the problem was due to the the dogs tracking in dirt from their run. Little did I know, we were equally to blame.

Notice I said my house was dusty. Several things have changed since last year.

• I got new floors. Well, not new, but refinished. The workers sanded and buffed the floors, vacuuming with a vacuum that could probably suck out your tonsils. Now I have a nice sealed surface where dust can't collect.

• We replaced all the filters to our air and furnace.

• We thoroughly cleaned the filter to our Roomba.

• The Roomba vacuums EVERY day, 7 days a week.

• I vacuumed all my shades and cleaned my windows.

• We removed or replaced our throw rugs.

• I washed all our bedding, including the guest rooms.

• The dogs have to go through two dirt traps before they can traipse through the rest of the house. Their doggie door is attached to my studio which I have sacrificed as the main dirt collector. As they enter from their doggie door, there's a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting that traps the loose dirt, and a second rough coir mat they have to walk on before stepping onto the refinished wood floors. It works!
Iko is the clean one in the family... when he's not chasing chickens.

• THE BIGGIE: We no longer come into the house with shoes on. We are a shoe-free house.

• SECOND BIGGIE: I have a lot of solid wood furniture. Maybe out of laziness but I stopped polishing it with a good oil polish long ago.

Well, I started doing it again and I can't believe the difference. Yes, I still dust the furniture, but I can go weeks without wiping down furniture with no visible dust buildup.

I use Scott's Liquid Gold. I prefer the pour-on type, but for some reason that can be hard to find. The aerosol works just as good though.

My house has never been cleaner. It smells better too. Another bonus: We've definitely had less trouble with allergies.

I wish I had done this years ago. These few steps have dramatically changed the cleanliness of my house and our health. It doesn't take me as long to clean anymore either. Boo Yah!

Do you use any special cleaner for dusting? I've tried several, but Scott's Liquid Gold has been my favorite so far. And I can't say enough about my Roomba. I was hesitant to spend that kind of dough, but it was money well spent. Not to mention it gave me back the time I would've spent vacuuming by hand.

Sav
Save
Sav
Sa



Comments

rmacwheeler said…
My three dogs make my HOUSE the dirt trap
Our house really isn't too bad, but I think we need to overhaul our cleaning system and products. I'd like to go more "natural" and I'm totally looking into the Roomba. :)
Mike Keyton said…
I have promised Bernadette to 'deep clean' the house for when she retires. The time is coming close and I'm not looking forward to it. :(
Gwen Gardner said…
Ugghh, dusting is my worst chore. I'd rather clean toilets. Actually, my hubs usually ends up dusting. LOL. And I clean toilets. We leave our back door open all the time so Tuffy can run in and out so our house is full of dirt and dust. Ah well. Maybe I'll get a Roomba.
Stacy McKitrick said…
Dust? Clean? What say you? :)
LD Masterson said…
I'm watching husband and dog coming in from the back yard though the sliding glass door into the family room. They are both trailing dead grass and leaves across the floor. I'm not sure dust free is an option around here.
Maria Zannini said…
Mac: Yeah, but who ends up cleaning it? :)
Maria Zannini said…
Madeline: About the only way to get truly natural is to stick to vinegar, lemon juice, oil and water. It's amazing how many chemicals even the "safe" cleaners have.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I will need a picture of you cleaning, preferably in a coon skin cap. I'm happy to hear Bernadette is retiring soon. Good for her!
Maria Zannini said…
Gwen: I hate dusting too and I don't know why. It's not like it's hard. It's just tedious if you have to do it all the time. The polish really did the trick though. I wiped down the furniture the other day and there was hardly any dust on my cloth.

Get a Roomba though. I love it. The cheaper ones work just as well from what my friends say, but the one I bought (the 880) doesn't need much maintenance other than making sure filters and rollers are free of debris.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: There's always maid service. I'm saving this perk for when I'm old and decrepit. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Linda: Leaves are a constant nuisance, but the coir mat seems to do a good job of pulling them off paws. If only I could teach them to stand on the mat a few extra seconds and wipe their paws.
lynnviehl said…
We change our a/c filters frequently, and use a better quality that catches more dust and allergens. During pollen season (we're surrounded by working farms) this is a blessing.

We keep the amount of dirt our dogs track in under control by reseeding and returfing the lawn when necessary, and only walking them on the road side or grassy paths. If there are no dirt patches for them to traipse through, they can't bring it into the house.

Dog hair is an ongoing headache for me, but that's what I get for having Shelties. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Lynn: Oh my gosh! I remember when we had Samoyeds. Holy cow, did they shed. I'd vacuum twice a day. I think it was years after the last one died when I stopped seeing a floating white hair somewhere in the house.

I loved Samoyeds. They were such agreeable and good-natured dogs, but their thick fur keeps them high maintenance.

re: turf
I keep trying to grow turf, but Iko is a digger. He doesn't tunnel, but he likes to dig himself a nice soft patch of dirt to sleep in. I finally gave up and let him keep his dirt bed. At least he's good about shaking himself off once he gets up.
lv2trnscrb said…
I only have to dust here about once a month. Even when we had our corgi I only had to dust about once a month. However, I had to vacuum 3 times a week especially during shedding season.

betty
Maria Zannini said…
Betty: Floating dog hair always made me feel I was fighting a losing battle. No matter how many times you clean or vacuum, some of it always gets away.