Foolproof Pork Stir Fry Recipe



I have a love-hate relationship with Chinese food. I love it, but I hate to make it because the ingredients are either hard to find or there are too many steps involved. For years I've searched for an EASY sauce recipe that I can turn to regardless of the protein used. I finally found it. I used it first for pork stir fry.

My favorite kind of sauce for stir fry is something a little spicy but with a hint of sweetness. I'm not crazy about peanut flavored sauces.

I'll eat it in small quantities, but I try to avoid them unless I'm making a peanut sauce for dipping spring rolls or satays.

This recipe requires you to marinate the meat. I tried it without marinating it once and it turned out quite spicy.

I was okay with it but Greg liked it better when I marinated the pork overnight. It had a milder more complex flavor if you let it sit in the fridge for several hours.

The original recipe is from Circulon, but I amended it to what I had on hand which is the recipe below.

For the marinade:
  • 2 1/2 pounds sliced pork
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sambal (spicy chili paste)
  • 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
For sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon sambal
  • 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
For stir-fry:

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • marinated pork
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • Two small heads of broccoli (or one large head)
  • 1/4 cup diced green onions
For Marinade: Mix all ingredients for marinade and cover. Let it sit in the fridge overnight for best results.

For Sauce: Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

For Stir Fry: Stir fry the sliced pork until no longer pink. Don’t cook it all the way through.

Pull out the pork, adding more oil to the pan if needed, then stir fry the broccoli florets, mushrooms, and green onions. Once tender, toss the pork back in and finish cooking. Coat with sauce and cook until thickened.

Serve over Jasmine rice (or any white rice).

It was a big hit, and it was even great as leftovers. If you're like me and have trouble finding a good all-round sauce for stir fry, I can recommend this one.

Do you like stir-fry dishes? Do you have a go-to sauce?

Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.

 



Comments

Stacy McKitrick said…
I like stir fry, but I don't like it spicy. Of course, I don't MAKE my own. That would be too much work. Us non-cooking people like it EASY. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: When Greg lived on his own he used to buy those premixed packages of stir fry. I think they were from Pei Wei. He thought they were good.
lv2trnscrb said…
We stir fry, but mainly use teriyaki sauce. Haven't really tried too much Chinese food; prefer to go out or bring in for that :)

betty
Maria Zannini said…
Betty: Now that I have a handle on stir frys I prefer mine to the restaurants--unless it's a really high end Asian restaurant. I pale by comparison to real chefs. But other things like moo shu pork and egg drop soup, I leave to the experts. I still haven't gotten those down yet.
Mike Keyton said…
I don't have any particular sauce for stir fry. I just use the usual combination of garlic, ginger and chilli. I would recommend a pickle however. I suppose it could be dumped in a stir fry but it's meant as a condiment to a curry - though it's also brilliant in a cheese sandwich. The condiment in question is Patak's Aubergine Pickle. Not too sure whether it's available in America.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I haven't heard about this pickle but it sounds like something I'd like. I'll keep an eye out for it the next time we go into an ethnic grocery store. Thanks for the tip!
[…] Monday Breakfast: Bagels and juice Early Dinner: Pork stir fry (recipe) […]
[…] Sunday Breakfast: Bacon and eggs Early Dinner: Pork stir fry (recipe) […]