Chilaquiles: A Presentation Breakfast

Chilaquiles


So help me, I never knew about this dish until I saw it on Rick Bayless's show. I tried a modified version of his recipe, reducing the ingredients to feed two people and adding a few other ingredients we prefer. The recipe below should handle four.

Greg loved this dish, but it's time consuming. If you prep all your ingredients, it'll go faster. It's a big meal, so it's best for either a Sunday breakfast or brunch. You can easily expand it to serve a crowd. (See Rick's recipe for crowd portions and his more decadent version.)

One caveat: Massage the amounts to your tastes. I thought it was too much salsa and broth so I cut it down. I don't like chilaquilas soupy.

Definitely add the avocado and cilantro. They give it such a fresh taste.

It's a nice presentation breakfast. I would try it again for guests or when I want to use up an old bag of corn chips and salsa.

Ingredients

  • oil to coat skillet

  • 1 onion, sliced

  • 12-16 ounces of salsa  (note caveat above)

  • 1 cup chicken broth (important)

  • 1 1/2cups  shredded  Monterey Jack cheese

  • 4 good handfuls of corn chips
    Note: Next time I'm going to make my own corn chips like I do for the Migas breakfast.

  • 1/2 cup black beans

  • 1/2 cup kernel corn

  • handful of cherry tomatoes (halved)

  • small handful of cilantro chopped

  • 4 eggs sunny side up, or down

Directions

Sauté the onions in the oil until caramelized. Add the salsa and broth and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and add cheese. Add chips and press down into sauce so they soften.

At this point the dish is done. Turn off heat. Quickly make up however many eggs you'll need for each person. I like my eggs sunny side down. Once they firm up, flip them, turn off the heat, and cover the skillet with a lid.

For each plate, slide a portion of the chilaquiles, then top with an egg (or two), and crown with a sprinkle of cilantro, avocado and shredded cheese. Serve immediately.

Enjoy. This is very filling.


Comments

Stacy McKitrick said…
Sunny side down? Isn't that the same as over-easy?
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: Probably, but don't let it be said that I follow convention. :)
Maria Zannini said…
Hi Lydia. I'm not on Saturday Seven. I just comment when I see a post I like.

Thanks for stopping by. I went to check out your blog too. :)

re: Chilaquiles
Definitely a meal for a crowd.
Mike Keyton said…
No good. We're on a diet so we can get fat again on out cruise
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: Those cruises are nothing but floating buffets.