Cheap Tricks: Save Money on Plants


Although I start many of my plants from seed, if I'm late getting plants started or want to try something new at the nursery, I sometimes buy seedlings already in pots.

I always look for the strongest plants first, but my next priority is to see if there are any with multiple seedlings. The happens most often with squash, okra, and cucumbers.

I rarely let seedlings grow together. I think they have a better fighting chance if they don't have to compete for nutrients. That's when I realized I could replant the culls. Free plants for very little effort.

Are you doing a garden this year?




Comments

Michael Keyton said…
I find cuttings good, too. Took several from an old rhododendron called 'grumpy' after me. Plan to do the same with some rosebushes, trying out a trick taken from facebook. May be rubbish but the tip advocated digging the cutting into an old potato and planting both in the earth. Worst case scenario, I'll get sweet smelling potatoes
LD Masterson said…
Um...I planted two fairly well established tomato plants in a planter box. Does that count?
Jenny Schwartz said…
Striking cuttings was part of how people grew their gardens when I was a kid - swapping pieces of plants. Mum still strikes carnations and geraniums/pelargoniums. I think succulents are a good place to start for people not used to growing plants from cuttings.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I've heard of the potato trick. I don't know if it works. I use that rooting powder for roses. It takes a long time, but it works.
Maria Zannini said…
Linda: A gardener is anyone who stick his hand in the earth and grows things. That definitely qualifies.
Maria Zannini said…
Jenny: I never realized I could take cuttings from a geranium. I might try that if things slow down a little. Thanks!

I do make starter plants by layering--laying down a branch from a plant and burying part of it in the dirt. I've started new rosemary and blackberries this way.