Quick and Easy Snack Using King's Hawaiian Rolls


If you're in a bind and looking for something light for lunch, have I got a brainiac idea for you!

I actually got this tip from my sister when she was catering a bridal shower for another family member.

I had some leftover roast chicken so I chopped it up, added finely diced celery, onion, and dill pickle with enough mayonnaise to coat.

Spoon a dollop of chicken salad inside King's Hawaiian rolls. The sourness of the dill pickle with the sweetness of the bread is a match made in heaven.

Of course, you can substitute with tuna or egg salad too. I've also toasted these with hot shredded pork filling.

I made a bunch of these up in minutes. They're light, but filling.


Comments

jacabur1 said…
Maria I totally agree! "The sourness of the dill pickle with the sweetness of the bread is a match made in heaven."

These little sweet bread rolls are a "special treat" that we have used for individual ham&cheese melt sandwiches as well. Your method for me would be to sub tuna salad with pretty much the same ingredients and just a little mayo mixed in with the condiments to add the moisture so can leave the mayo off the rolls.

Nice, quick tip for leftover roast chicken for sure.
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: I don't know why I never bought them before. I've had them at other people's bbq, but never thought to make sandwiches from them.
jacabur1 said…
Maria, sometimes we just do not have that "lightbulb moment" until later, this is your later! LOL :-)
Stacy McKitrick said…
Ewww, pickles. Doesn't matter anyway. Hubby can't eat sandwiches (dries his mouth out too quickly), so I don't keep bread in the house very often.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: Oh, I'm sorry your hubby can't eat sandwiches. Poor thing!

For what it's worth, pickles or any fermented vegetable is good for your gut.
Michael Keyton said…
Love the filling, but have some reservations - perhaps unjustified - about the rolls. The last time I was in America, I found much of the bread almost uneatable - it was so sweet. What's with that, putting sugar in bread ?
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I knew you were going to say that!

Yeah, in the US we do like our sweet breads. Even regular bread has some sugar in it, but this Hawaiian bread even more so.