Cheap Tricks: Distracting Your Cat

Have you ever had a problem trying to clip cat claws, or do some necessary examination on a fidgety cat? I was shocked at how well this trick worked. I thought it was so clever I had to pass it on.

Jazz went through all sorts of indignities but didn't care in the least because he was fixated on a tongue depressor slathered in whipped cheese.

I don't keep spray cheese, but whenever we do his nails, Greg teases him with tiny tidbits of cheese while I clip his nails. Works every time.



We generally don't need to distract the dogs when we examine or clip, but we do pay them for their good behavior afterward.

Note: If you use peanut butter for dogs, make sure it doesn't contain xylitol. Most don't, but it pays to be vigilant.

What do you do to keep your dog or cat distracted?


Comments

Stacy McKitrick said…
Back in 1980, Hubby gave our dog, Natasha (German Shepard/Husky mix), peanut butter and we had a good laugh for about 15 minutes while she kept trying to lick it down! Never seemed to work when we wanted to give her a pill, though. Always managed to spit that sucker out!
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: Some dogs are masters at avoiding pills.
Michael Keyton said…
I've never had to face this problem. Once though, when I was relatively young and innocent I gave our uncle's dog a toffee. To appreciate the visual you have to see him as a mongrel Old English Sheep dog - small but hairy and with very bright eyes. Predictably it stuck to his teeth and he was rolling and scrabbling at his teeth with his paws - both enjoying the taste but confused as to why his jaws were stuck. I've read since that this could be dangerous, but as I said it was done out of ignorance and was huge fun to watch with, luckily, no consequences
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I hate to see animals struggle with food. Greg thinks it's hilarious. Apparently, you two would fit well together. :)