Eat This Much, Web Site




Today, I'd like to introduce you to a new web site I found that can help you select food to fit your particular needs. It's called EatThisMuch.com.

What I like about it, aside from the fact that it has a wide array of choices, both commercially made and homemade, is that it drills down so that if you're watching your sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc, it's listed in a drop down menu (far right).

Greg's been watching his sugar so I've been paying careful attention to how much sugar are in ingredients before I use them.

Not only does the web site have nutrition information of individual ingredients, but also entire meals, including restaurant food. I especially like the search function (far left) so I don't have to scroll so much.

Try it out and let me know if you found it useful.

We've been watching our sugar and fat for a few months now. We recently had a checkup and both my sugar and cholesterol went down. It was never high to begin with, but the change in our diet brought it down even lower. I was very happy to see that with only minor changes in our diet we could make a difference.

Greg needs a little more stringent care with his intake, but he too did better.

Do you watch your diet for anything in particular? I am a glutton for carbs, so I'm mindful of my sugar even though it's in the safe range. It would be easy to OD on sweet rolls and chips. :)



Comments

Will check it out!

Last physical, all was well overall according to the numbers, but I'm always trying to be and eat better/healthier. I'm focusing on reducing - not eliminating! - carbs at the moment.
Maria Zannini said…
Lynn: I wonder if you can switch your sides to things like beans or zoodles (zucchini spirals). I've been cooking more beans since we've cut back on sugar.

I don't know what to recommend as a rice substitute for stir fry. Like you, I'm content to go riceless, but Greg likes to have it as a side. On days when I make stir fry I sometimes overcompensate with more vegetables in the stir fry to make it seem more filling.
Maria Zannini said…
Madeline: I don't think I could ever cut out carbs completely. It makes me grumpy. LOL
Stacy McKitrick said…
I've been lucky/blessed/whatever -- cholesterol and blood sugar have always been on the good side. Even my blood pressure is in the normal range. I expect that to change some day in the not so distant future (when my mitral valve regurgitation becomes worse), but that day's not here yet. In the meantime, I continue walking on the treadmill and working out the best I can. The pill I take to prevent a return of my cancer just makes my bones ache at times so my exercise suffers. Only four more years of that crap.
Gwen Gardner said…
It’s cool that they come up with different meal plans at the touch of a button. I have high cholesterol, but to be honest, it’s hard to know what to do. Doctors are still saying fat causes high cholesterol, but an up and coming school of thought says that it’s the sugar causing it. Maybe everything in moderation is the key.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: I wonder why your cancer drug hurts your bones. Is there a supplement you can take to ease the pain? It's a vicious circle to be sure.
Maria Zannini said…
Gwen: I don't understand it either. I had a friend who had super high cholesterol and blood sugar and she was 90 pounds soaking wet. It was just genetic. She was on drugs all her life for it too and it was always a balancing act.
ANGELA L BROWN said…
Thanks for sharing this site. I, too, am such a sucker for carbs. Maybe this can help me with that addiction - erm - issue.
Maria Zannini said…
Angela: I try very hard to curb the carbs but I know I'll never eliminate them completely. I believe in moderation in all things.
LD Masterson said…
That's a cool site. Excuse me while I go play with it.