Shrimp DeJonghe



Have you ever had a yen for something you had when you were a kid?

I've mentioned before that my father was a waiter, but he was fascinated with the chefs who worked behind the scenes and he'd watch them prepare dishes whenever he could. Many times, he'd replicate the dish at home.

One of my favorites was a Chicago specialty called Shrimp DeJonghe. He'd make it as an appetizer, but you can eat it as a meal too.

Word of warning. The butter makes it especially decadent, but your taste buds won't complain.

It's deceptively simple, but for best results buy the best shrimp and butter you can afford.

Shrimp DeJonghe

2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 cups dry white wine

1 cup butter, melted

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon paprika

A dash of cayenne

1 cup chopped fresh parsley

2 cups fresh bread crumbs

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease the casserole dish.
  2. In a bowl mix together butter, garlic, cayenne pepper, paprika, parsley and bread crumbs.
  3. Remove 1/3 cup of this mix for later.
  4. Add shrimp and wine into the bowl until everything is equally coated.
  5. Place shrimp in the casserole dish.
  6. Sprinkle the reserved bread crumb mixture over the shrimp.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until shrimp are firm and topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.Tip: You can also make this in individual ramekins for guests.

While I would serve this for company, sometimes it's nice just to treat yourself. It's one of those meals that always makes me think of my father.

This is so rich you don't need much to accompany it. I like a nice French bread, plain white rice, or a simple salad.

Do you have a meal from your past that always brings good memories?

Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.



Comments

Stacy McKitrick said…
Sounds yummy! When's dinner? :D
Michael Keyton said…
Oh, I like this. Thank you :)
jacabur1 said…
A meal from the past that always brings back memories of my father and myself together is a can of vienna sausages and a package of saltine crackers. Not good for you but these items were one of his go-to on-the-go lunches when he worked out in the field reading meters and there was nowhere nearby to eat at.

Maria your Dad may have been a waiter all his life but sounds like his insatiable quest for knowledge and a talent for applying what he learned was awesome as well as inspiring!
LD Masterson said…
Okay, now you've made me hungry.
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: I was just thinking it's time to make this again.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: Just remember, the wine goes to the shrimp first and the old man. :D
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: Greg loves those Vienna sausages. He says he buys them for the dog, but I notice he snitches them too. :)

My dad was always hustling. I often wonder what he could've accomplished had he had an education.
Maria Zannini said…
Linda: It's really very good. Light but decadent.
Lisa Lombardo said…
I don't think I've ever had this...will have to try!
Maria Zannini said…
Lisa: It's an easy recipe and different from most shrimp meals.