Zucchini Fritters




This is my new favorite side dish. It's comfort food that's warm and filling. More pancake than eating a plain vegetable.

I'm going to share the link where I got the original recipe, and then some tweaks that I used.

The link for the recipe I used is from Natasha's Kitchen. She in turn got it passed from three other people. This is one of those recipes that's easy to adjust to suit your family's tastes.

I like this recipe a lot. I think it could use a lot more seasoning than it calls for. We felt the original recipe was lacking in salt and pepper.

This is the modified recipe I use.
  • 2 lb zucchini
  • 1 tsp (for sweating zucchini) plus 1 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • vegetable oil for frying

Instructions

  1. Wash, trim, and peel zucchini. Grate zucchini. Place zucchini in a large mixing bowl, stir in 1 tsp salt and set aside for 10 minutes. The salt helps the zucchini draw out its moisture.
  2. After zucchini has rested for 10 minutes, squeeze handfuls of grated zucchini tightly over colander to remove extra water. This part is important. After I squeezed the zucchini, I let it sit in the colander to continue draining. The drier the zucchini, the more evenly it will cook (and less splatter).
  3. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add 3/4 cup chopped green onion and 2 lightly beaten eggs.
  5. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup flour with 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Add flour mix (dry ingredients) into zucchini mixture and stir until well combined.
  6. Place a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to cover. Once the oil is hot, add the zucchini batter a heaping tablespoon at a time and flatten out the tops slightly to make them into patties. Fry 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. 
Now for the variations:
There is so much you can do with the basic recipe.
  • For a spicy flavor, you can add, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, or cayenne powder. 
  • To give it an Italian flavor palette, add oregano, basil, or thyme.

Other ingredients:
  • Add thinly sliced jalapenos (seeded)
  • Add 1/4 cup of  grated Parmesan cheese
  • Try 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarrella
  • 6 tsps of ranch style dip mix

Toppings:
  • Use sour cream, yogurt, spaghetti sauce, or dill sauce as a topping.
Modify the basic fritter recipe to complement your main dish.
I fell in love with this side dish. It was so satisfying, plus it's an easy way to use up squash. They also freeze extremely well. I fry them to almost done, then pull them out, laying them on a baking sheet in a single layer. I put the baking sheet in the freezer to flash freeze the individual patties. Once they're frozen hard I put them in serving size zip lock bags. This way I only pull out what I need for that night's meal.

I haven't tried it yet, but you can also use spaghetti squash. Cook it first. Scoop out the seeds, then fork-shred the squash into a bowl. Use the recipe above and replace the zucchini with the cooked spaghetti squash.

Have you ever tried fritters? Do you make them yourself?

Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.





Comments

Mike Keyton said…
I found this very hard to read, me being on a 5:2 diet and this being on e of my 800 calorie days with only a shake to look forward to. Grrr
Jackie said…
Oh be still my heart!

Maria these are one of my all time faves as well using yellow crookneck summer squash to make along with cornmeal, flour etc.

To my horror and emotional despair this dish can no longer be in my diet either, so Mike I feel your pain man!
Mike Keyton said…
Jackie, we shall despair together, though in my case for only one day. Commiserations.
Jackie said…
Shame Mike, rub it in why don't you! LOL
Maria Zannini said…
Mike and Jackie: You guys!

I'm sorry you can't have it on your diet anymore. Is it the flour or the oil you can't have?

You can substitute chickpea flour for regular flour. It's surprisingly good though hard to find. Costco sometimes has it.

If it's the oil, I imagine you can try baking them though you might not get that nice crust from pan frying.

It's sad when you have to deny a comfort food. I've had to modify our diet a lot since Greg can't have sugar or high carbs anymore.
Jackie said…
Maria it is a little bit of both products and more importantly the fact can no longer plant squash to eat because it was taken away from me by diet Nazis.

My bigger problem however is inability to use my heavy cast iron skillets anymore to cook with as I can no longer lift them and refuse to have poor Karl standing over me so he can fill with oil, remove oil once used and clean the pan for next time.

Mainly the problem lies with fact I am a control freak who does not like to share responsibility in my kitchen.
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: I understand completely. Greg's idea of cooking is frying a steak. The rest is up to me. I'd be happy if he'd just clean up and let me cook, but that's hit or miss in our house.
Melissa said…
Maria,

Thanks for sharing with us at Farm Fresh Tuesdays Blog Hop!
Your Fritters are one of my features at this week's hop! Be sure and stop by to see your feature and say hi!

Melissa | Little Frugal Homestead
Maria Zannini said…
Thanks, Melissa! That was so kind!
Joanne said…
These sound delicious! We often make corn fritters in the summer but I had never thought of making zucchini fritters. I love just about anything made with zucchini. Pinned.
Maria Zannini said…
Mother of 3: They are so satisfying. Try adding parmesan too. It's a whole other taste level.