Doggy Blues


Jammy, the cat is doing fine even though he continues to eat pureed gruel.

But da dogs!

Odin goes back to surgery Thursday. Both his lids are turning once more. Poor big guy is suffering terribly. I'm angry we've had to wait so long for a surgical date, but like everywhere else they're shorthanded.

Meanwhile I've done my best to keep antibiotic in his eyes and lubricate them regularly. He hates it! He knows when I'm coming to give him treatment and he tries to hide his face, but he also knows mom won't relent.

Thursday cannot come soon enough.

Meanwhile Nana is feeling her age. She's ten which is old but not ancient for a border collie. Her joints hurt, and now she's developed a skin allergy that's yearlong. She's on a very expensive allergy medicine called Cytopoint.

It's expensive because it's dosed by the pound  which brings me to Nana's other problem. Her weight.

She is huge. 

I have her on a diet for a 66 lb dog. She is currently 92 lbs. This means she's hungry all the time.

We had her thyroid checked and did a complete blood work up. It's all normal.

We're going to start walking her more though it'll be slow because of her joints. It's really a Catch-22. If the extra exercise doesn't work, my vet says we need to address her quality of life.

There's no point starving her because too restrictive a diet will backfire and make things worse.

She does have massive amounts of fatty tumors under her muscle layer. That's part of the excess weight. At her age I'd rather not do surgery on benign tumors.

So, I'm like a tennis ball going back and forth between dogs.

Nana, thankfully is easy to work with. Odin is as stubborn as he is big. Fortunately, I can be just as stubborn. I just hope he never realizes he can overpower me at any time.

Wish us luck. 

Any time you make a purchase using any of my Amazon links it rewards me with a few cents. This goes a long way to keep this blog active. Thank you.

Comments

Dru Ann said…
keeping you all in my good thoughts and prayers. Good luck!
Maria Zannini said…
Thanks, Dru. I hate it when the pets are down. They're hurting and you can't explain that everything you're doing for them is for their good.

If I could have any super power, I'd love to be able to communicate with animals.
Jackie said…
Poor you and most of all poor Nana and Odin right now.

Prayers for all Maria.
Maria Zannini said…
Thanks, Jackie. I wish we could put this behind us. I just want to give them a break.
Mike Keyton said…
My thoughts and prayers are with you too, Maria
Maria Zannini said…
Thanks, Mike. I could use some down time, but you gotta go where you're needed.
nightsmusic said…
Oh, Maria, I'm so sorry. Sorry for Odin's eyes and Nana's weight and you're being pulled between them. Thank heaven the cat is eating, even if it is gruel. Praying for you all.
Jenny Schwartz said…
Oh my goodness. You are so overdue luck. Huge hugs for you and everyone.
Maria Zannini said…
nightmusic: I hate seeing him with eye problems. As someone who's had more eye surgery than I can remember I know how miserable he feels.

Nana at least is happy eating vegetables so I try to fill her up that way.
Maria Zannini said…
Jenny: What was funny is that I could see the problem holding its own due to a lot of antibiotics and salves, but I couldn't get over the hump. Then his lids just gave in.

I do hope this next surgery will help. The vet says he has a lot of loose skin so he can be more aggressive with his cutting this time.