Adios, Old Blog


Welcome to the only blog I have left.

Today, my old blog will draw its last breath. This blog will be the only place to find me.

Subscriber status: I tried for three days with MailerLite to configure my DNS in order for the new mailing list to work. It's something new that all mail services have to do to make sure their users are not spammy robots.

I could not find how to do that. I have a sneaking suspicion it's down to semantics. What they called my domain is actually my service provider. It doesn't make sense but I was in no mood for debate.

It looks like I will not have a subscriber list.

If you want to follow me, try a blog feeder (I use Feedly). You can also follow me on Facebook, or Pinterest.

This is the "new" Pinterest account and it is sadly lacking in pins and followers. It took me years to garner all my old followers but according to the Pinterest Help Desk they have nothing in place to migrate old followers to the new site. I will have to start from scratch...again. 

If you follow Pinterest, I hope you'll add me to your list. I'll be adding my old pins every day as I get the chance.

There's one last option to see my posts. I can add an RSS feed, but I want to wait until the old blog is out of Google's memory. According to Google it should take about a month for the old domain to expire. I need Google to know I've transferred the old blog and not stolen it, so I'm also turning off the web crawlers.

I'll try to hook up an RSS feed by early March.

This mega drama is the entire reason I didn't delete the last blog sooner. I knew these headaches were coming.

In other news...

We survived our mini ice age. It lasted only a week but it felt longer. Tomorrow I take the covers off all my outside plants and see if any perished during our cold snap.

All pets are currently healthy. Huzzah!

For some reason, Jammy has decided he doesn't want to cat anymore. He wants to be a dog and be with his pack. Poor little guy can't stand being apart from us. Ordinarily that would be fine, but Nana cannot be trusted. 

Nana is a funny creature. She's really gotten old and cantankerous but she still has energy to chase (once she's on her feet). Of course, if she chases, then Odin chases, and that won't end well for anyone. Hence Jams has to be on the other side of the gate, unless I have Nana up on the couch with me.

I swear, since Nana and Odin discovered the couch, I've never been able to stretch out again. Those dogs take up a lot of real estate. Jammy prefers to share the other couch with Greg. 

It's that time of year again. Time to start sowing seeds--indoors for now.

I've wasted enough time trying to save as much of the old blog as I could. It's time to get on with life.

Every year I try at least one new seed. Last year we fell in love with Hatch Peppers when a friend of ours roasted them on the grill. 

For some reason, those seeds are a little hard to come by. They're a New Mexico pepper and you won't find them in my region of the country. I'm hoping my sister might find them locally by her.

I've tried to save the seeds from store bought hatch peppers, but not a single one sprouted.

If you've never tried them roasted, you're missing out. There's a mild and a hot hatch pepper. The mild has all the flavor and none of the heat. It's the one I recommend. They go great on hamburgers, sandwiches and fajitas.

I'm also trying shishito peppers. I didn't think they had much flavor as fresh peppers, but someone on one of my gardening groups mentioned they tasted better grilled.

We'll see how the garden fares this year. I'm much better prepared than last year, so I hope to beat out the squash bugs and cabbage worms.




Comments

Luba said…
Loved your post Maria. I'm glad the fur kinder are doing so well. That's really good news and you must feel good about it too!!! I just followed you on Pinterest as well.

Maria, my late brother-in-law, Tomasso was Italian and a chef. A very good chef. He and my sister did a lot of dinners for German politicians, Cimpany heads and lawyers. He grilled peppers and sprinkled them with olive oil, salt and pepper in a dish and some other seasonings. Those were the best I'd ever eaten.

Sad to say, that in my neck of the woods it's still snowy and icy. I'm out in it but not a fan. 🤭😊 The good news, Spring is only two months away! Wishing you much luck in your new endeavor! 💖🌹
Beth Anderson said…
Sorry Nana doesn’t like Jammy. They could be good buddies. Happy Odin is tolerant. I wish you well with finding seeds and getting a good crop.
Maria Zannini said…
Oh my gosh, Luba. I never thought to mix the peppers with olive oil and seasonings. Greg, who is also Italian, would love it.

I'm going to experiment with that this year. Thank you!
Maria Zannini said…
Beth: The ironic thing is that Nana was fine with Jammy for almost 3 years. I even have pictures of them sleeping together. Then one day, something snapped in her and she started chasing him as soon as he came in the room. We had to keep them apart from then on. It was sad.
Tia Nevitt said…
I probably still have my old blogspot blogs as well -- Fantasy Debut and my original writing-based site. Have not logged in in years, though. And I knew I would get back to using my domain again someday. Which, I guess, has arrived because I have posted 3 posts in two weeks! That's way up from once every two years or so!