Gardens of Opportunity


There's a lady I've never met--or even seen, but every few months she throws out her spent plants, leaving them on top of her garbage bins.

Scavenger that I am, I take them. My resurrection success is about 75%.

I've come to profile the person who throws them out. This woman lives in a high end neighborhood. It has to be a woman because she only throws out small plants. And while she hires people to mow her lawn and trim the hedges, she likes to putter with these small flowering plants by herself. 

But this woman has a dark side. She likes only pretty things. Once her plants lose their blooms or become leggy, she tosses them. Nearly everything she's thrown away could've been saved. They can be pruned, repotted and allowed to flower again next year. I have to assume she prefers instant gratification.

I say, kudos to her anyway. I admire her grit even if she does live in a million dollar home. She likes to get her hands dirty and that's someone I can admire.

And I'm not proud when it comes to plants. If you're tossing them, toss them my way. I like a challenge. 

I do have a very good friend who lets me rob her of her baby plant volunteers. The last of my ajuga died in the killer freeze of 2022. She let me take a few stragglers that popped up away from where they were initially planted in her beds. I've kept them alive all last year. I plan to replant them in their permanent bed as soon as this winter is over. 

While I was in Arizona last year, I scored lots of unusual seeds found along trails or my sister's house. Sadly, my plant apps haven't been much help in identifying them. But hey, it's a new plant and I'm always interested to see how it does at our place.

When we're out garage saling, I sometimes pick up dropped acorns. From my last outing, out of twelve, only two sprouted. Not my best germination rate, but I'm grateful to have an oak I currently don't have on my property. Maybe it'll start more shoots after I'm dust and reforest my land.

I'm hoping we've seen the last of winter, but we still have to see what the next five weeks will bring. 

***

Bear with me while I continue to make the transition to this blog. Pinterest has been the hardest to migrate since I have to do it manually. It doesn't help that we keep losing internet connection.

Spectrum has finally entered our territory and is offering fiber. I've never been particularly fond of Spectrum's reputation, but constantly losing our signal is enough to make me switch. As soon as I can get a few more things off my plate, I'll give them a call.

***

Do you ever profile strangers? I have a quirky habit of creating elaborate back stories for why people do what they do. I guess that's the writer in me.

Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.

Gardening

Comments

Mike Keyton said…
Yes, absolutely I profile strangers. Sometimes I try to inhabit them if they’re a good fit for a novel or story. Ref plants, I’ve had success propagating roses, rhododendron and Rosemary. Maybe I’m just good with the letter R. 😀
Luba said…
It is nice to know that a millionairess has a quasi green thumb! Certainly I've found gardening to be relaxing and peaceful. I think of nothing! I even find myself small talking to my hydrangeas and my crepe myrtle and other plants. Maria, I buy my plants at various locations. There's a lady who always sells plants, seedlings, veggies by the side of the road. I find myself there in the spring. She is a master gardener in my eyes!!

May I inquire how is stranger profiling done? There are so many variations of profiling, I'm a curious creature!!! (I presume authors profile). I just read James Patterson's book, The Postcard Killers. Dayum that was something!

You'll have to tell me how you like the peppers in olive oil. I love it that way. I put some on the BBQ or in the oven and turn them till skin is browned and then put them in olive oil with s/p, parsley, Italian spices.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: I try my hand at propagating everything on the off chance I might get lucky. Currently, I'm air layering a rosemary bush to make a cutting for my mother who's been trying to start them by seed unsuccessfully.

I'm hoping she'll visit in March, but we'll have to see how she feels.
Maria Zannini said…
Luba: Profiling (for me anyway) is nothing more but imagining what that person might be like by noticing what he's wearing or what he's doing.

I'm jealous of your road side vendor. I always look for them too!
Luba said…
My road vendor also sells homemade goodies and crafts. Maria, I like your version of profiling by imagining by what that person may be like. I tend to believe most of us are somewhat like that like that!!! Goodnight for now. 😔