Hunkering Down


It's bitterly cold today. The low today is 10 degrees. Even snow showers are predicted. It's not as bad as what the northern US is experiencing, but cold enough for us to hunker down for a few days.

Winter is my least favorite season. Although there's more to do in spring and fall, winter is the most miserable time to work outside.

There's splitting wood, covering plants, blowing out outdoor waterlines (so there's no water in the pipes above ground), insulating the chicken coop, and praying the grid won't go down this year while all of Texas ramps up electrical use. We also ran/checked our generators to make sure all were in working order. The last thing we did before the frigid temps hit us was buy fresh produce and bread.

We started our chores early--before the frigid temps, so we could spread them out over several days. I butchered the last of our quail last year so I wouldn't have to overwinter them. If I want quail this year, I'll buy them from a seller.

I have two big plusses this year in preparation for the freeze and/or losing the grid.

Although we couldn't build my big greenhouse, I bought a small, portable greenhouse for my citrus trees and vulnerable plants. I checked it yesterday when it was 13 degrees, and all the plants were in balmy surroundings. I was so pleased!

The other thing we have is our two solar generators and one gas generator. We will not be cold this year.


The bird feeder is full, there's some corn in the woods for deer, and the chickens have an extra deep layer of wood flakes for bedding.

We're ready, freeze, bring it on.

From the freezer, I've taken out food ingredients for the week, which will include: a small brisket to slow cook, a pot roast for beef stew, vegetable soup with homemade broth, some chili, and lasagna. 

How is it by you? Do you do anything to prepare for cold weather? What do you like to make when it's cold outside?

Comments

nightsmusic said…
Well, it was -3 degrees this morning and has finally reached zero now that it's 9am. Husband chops all of our wood and stacks it by mid October for the season, so he only has to load the wagon and bring the wagon to the house using the quad. We blew the lines out in November, the blade is on the quad and he's done the 7 or 8 inches of snow we got the past couple of days, twice now because the 50mph gusts covered the driveway so I wouldn't have gotten out. We've got lots of gasoline for the generator, I use a gas stove so if the power does go out, I can still cook, the fireplace is usually lit (I make a mean fire) and the food and water is stocked. We're good. Typical Michigan weather here.
Luba said…
I saw your post early, yeauuuhhhh!!! FB may be putting me back on top? Nah! J/k. Maria your post is aptly named! It feels like someone open the freezer and forgot to shut vfc the door. 🤭😊 Its quite cold out there. TBH I'm so used to it now but, I'm saving hard for next year in Florida. With my luck, we'll have an El Ninja instead of an El Ninjo. 🤣👍 It sounds like you're very prepared for the weather. I made Oven Baked Beef Stew yesterday and I'll post the recipe in a day or 2. It's a little different than regular Beef Stew. Very delicious. The one thing that brothers me is if the electricity goes off. I have a generator but it still bothers me. Stay warm, Maria...
Maria Zannini said…
nightmusic: I don't miss northern weather. We left Chicago as soon as we could. LOL.

The only thing I can say about the northern states is that they're so much better prepared for cold weather than we are in the south.

It gets crazy here. People panic. It's stupid.

But like a regular old person I watch the weather carefully. We try to plan days, if not weeks in advance of bad weather. I don't want to be out there in 10 degree weather trying to cover plants.

At least the grid didn't go down. I've heard a few heads rolled when that happened a couple of years ago.

Stay warm, sweetie.
Maria Zannini said…
Luba: I'm looking forward to reading about your recipe. I'm always looking for new twists on old favorites. Is it German?

re: Florida
It's warm there at least. Hurricane season is over for a while.
Mike Keyton said…
you make it sound wonderfully cozy, Maria— and well prepared. Clearly a reader of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf as a child. Is that your fire in the pic or a stock photo? Ref bird seed and corn, having once attracted a rat into our garden those are things of the past for us, but we are surrounded by berry rich bushes and trees and competing armies of birds.
Stay warm, and before I forget, I'm intrigued by your portable greenhouse and solar generator.
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: Our fireplace.

There are always rodents in the country. Though with all the coyote and hawk action, we've seen less vermin than usual.

I really like my little greenhouse. No more lugging citrus trees into the house.