What's New


If you're here, it means you've found me. Yay, me!

Be sure to bookmark this address:  https://mariazannini.blogspot.com/ 

I may or may not do a subscriber list. I know some of you are on my old one, but according to MailerLite, the company that handles it, that too, is being fazed out at the end of the month.

I'll wait to see what they have to offer that's free in February.

To look at this blog, it might seem that nothing has changed. The biggest (and most critical) is the url address. Considering I get the same layout as my old blog it seemed silly to keep paying just to have a custom domain name.

The "experts" claim that a custom domain makes you look more professional, but I've been a long time reader of many people who blog on free platforms. 

In the end, I think it's more about the content than the domain name. It took me many years to figure that out.

I wanted to appear contemporary and tech savvy. Perhaps if I had been an influencer with 100,000+ regular readers that would've been necessary, but I never reached that level. Nor would I want to. Too much responsibility and visibility.

At the top of the blog, the header says: maria zannini at home. The old blog says maria zannini home. A subtle but telling difference because I'm at home, back where I started.

Truth be told I blogged long before blogger. I actually designed and created my own website from scratch. It was a great experience but I learned early on that code writing must be a form of magic. 

Coding is not for the average mortal. It was hard work and I applaud code monkeys everywhere. I am not one of you, but I wanted to learn your otherworldly ways.

My old blog will disappear after January 22, 2024.

I've transferred all my posts here. I think somewhere between years 2016-2018 a lot of posts are missing. Those were from my Wordpress years. The pictures didn't migrate. I'll go through those posts as time permits. If it's a good post and I can find the pictures that go with them, I'll republish them.

So how is your New Year going?

We're a little uneasy here.

Jammy, the cat is not well. His little throat seems to have closed up more. He eats, but some days, it's a struggle. I'm waiting to see the vet, but right after the holidays, it's hard to get in anywhere. I'm hoping it's an infection, but I'm bracing myself in case it's bad news.

Considering his eating disability, Jammy has lived far longer than I thought he would, but I'm not giving up yet. He has to go through some pretty invasive tests come Monday, but that should tell us the extent of the damage.

All good thoughts and Jammy prayers appreciated.

Tell me about your new year. What's ahead for you?


Comments

Dru Ann said…
Good to see you here.

Ahead is more PT for the left knee and knee replacement surgery for the right one in May. I do have trips scheduled and I'm looking forward to traveling.
Maria Zannini said…
Hi Dru. I'm glad you commented here. I'm going to have to check the settings. I'm not being told if a comment appears.

I feel for you on knee replacement. After being the caregiver for Greg during his knee replacement, I know the Herculean task it is to recover. Hang in there.

I hope you're pretty well recovered by May. You'll need your recuperated leg to hold up your surgery leg. And you know how hard that is.
Gwen Gardner said…
Hey Maria, I hope Jammy gets good news. Fingers crossed. We don’t have a cat anymore, but the neighbors cat comes by twice a day to be fed and sometimes he lets me pet him. Lol. 2023 was a tough year so I know 2024 is going to be much better. All my best to you and Greg and your four-legged fur babies.
Maria Zannini said…
Thank you, Gwen.

Cats can be very cheeky, but they're good people.
Beth Anderson said…
Poor Jammy. He has been through a lot. He has thrived this long because of the great mom you are. Please keep us posted. Our 13+ cat has given us some scares too. It’s not easy when they get along in years. Wish you all a great New Year.
Maria Zannini said…
Beth: That's how I feel about Nana. She just turned 11. You gotta watch them for any deviation from their natural behavior.

I can read a dog, but cats are hard. Even when they're sick, they try to hide it. The vet said it was a defensive technique so they're not seen as vulnerable.

I hope yours is doing better.
Mike Keyton said…
All best wishes for you, Greg, and Jammy, Maria - especially today.
Welcome to your new home, Maria, and thanks for letting me come along. Best wishes for Jammmy. I'm sorry he's struggling again.
Marlene
Luba said…
Happy New Year Maria and Greg... Don't mean to be late but sometimes I get to see your posts early and sometimes not. Still think FB has me on the bottom feeder. Anyway, I got to reading about Jammy and I was thinking maybe a steroid would help. If its today, Monday, or previous Monday. I don't know how late I am to your post. You know Maria, I hope I continue seeing your blogs whether I'm late or on time.🤭 I enjoy all you posts. Your blogs are very informative and a delight to read. ... I truly wish you all the best this coming year and that you accomplish all your heart's desire. But above all much health and good fortune to you, Greg and your fur kinder.
Maria Zannini said…
Marlene: He's better today. We think it was an infection that swelled his esophagus.
Maria Zannini said…
Luba: I mentioned steroids to the vet but she doesn't recommend them for cats, at least not for this instance.

She's jotted down an antibiotic in his notes in case this comes up again.

I'm just glad he's back to normal--normal for him anyway.

I hope 2024 is kind to you.
Luba said…
It was a thought, right? 😻

Thank you, I hope so too, Maria. #Blessings to you and Greg for 2024. 💖🌹We're inundated with gobs of snow at the present time and more is coming tomorrow thru late Friday. Yuck!