Create An Emergency Pantry


There are pantries and there are pantries.

What makes an Emergency Pantry different? It's all in the name. 

Whatever your emergency, be it a natural disaster, prolonged power outage, or even another epic isolation fest, an emergency pantry is your go-to for immediate meals without too much fuss.

It's not fancy. In fact, you'll want to put extra effort into "comfort foods" where you can. 

Unlike a regular pantry where you might keep more labor/energy intensive food like pudding mixes, or the makings for pizza, an emergency pantry is comprised of goods you can eat without a great deal of preparation or fresh ingredients. 

I read a funny post on one of my homesteading groups. Someone asked what kind of things he should keep stocked up. One person answered: Turn off your power at the breaker box, then sit in your darkened house for a week. You'll figure out very quickly where your supplies are lacking.

I'm sure he was trying to be funny, but he was also right. After Hurricane Rita flattened a lot of east Texas in 2005, we had a real wake up call on how unprepared we were. I never expected to lose all my refrigerated/frozen food. And I didn't realize I might not have a way to cook what was left either.

Fortunately, we still had a generator and enough gas to power it for a few hours at night. But we had only bottled water and no means of cooking on a stove.

You simply don't realize all the little things you use every minute that will make your days much longer and harder without them.

Add to that, a natural disaster will keep you working from dawn to dusk. You're so tired of clearing debris that you have no strength left to cook anyway. It's canned goods or nuthin'. 

Greg had arrived first to assess the damage and I arrived two days later to bring in supplies. One thing I brought was a little grill. (Our old one was probably found in a crumpled heap in someone else's yard.)

I'm telling you this story because an emergency pantry is more than food. Make sure you have a way to prepare it without conventional means. And no matter how much water you have, it's probably not enough.

Here's a list of supplies I would keep in an Emergency Pantry:

• Water. Water for drinking and water for washing. If you're lucky enough to store water ahead of impending peril, buy a Water Bob, or rely on your bathtub for water.


• Portable Grill. Don't get fancy here. We love and regularly use, this small Hibachi style grill, by Lodge.

Think about your fuel before you buy your grill. Will you use wood from your property, charcoal briquettes, or propane in small bottles? Propane is portable, but once you're out, you're out. If you're really roughing it, you can also use your fireplace, but you'll have to build some sort of grate to hold cooking skillets over the fire.

• Rags, paper towels, and hand sanitizing wipes. You'll want something you can throw away if water is at a premium.

• Skillet and pot. Cast iron is best in case you need to put it directly over a fire. Everyone should own at least one cast iron skillet. They are nearly indestructible. Again, I recommend Lodge.

• Paper plates and disposable utensils. You can use regular dishware, but if water is precious, don't waste it on washing dishes.

• Lantern or other light source. I prefer battery powered lanterns.

Hand crank emergency radio.   

• Batteries


Food

I'm careful with this list for a couple of reasons. In the first place, you're going to get tired of prepared foods fast. I mean really fast. Secondly, as much as I like cooking with ingredients as opposed to prepared foods, it's time consuming in dire situations where your energy is needed elsewhere. 

But, if the worst has happened and you're just sitting in a darkened house with nothing else to do, you can whip up some nice meals from base ingredients. 

Plan your emergency pantry with two aims in mind. One subset is food you can heat and eat. The other is food you can cook on a grill or open fire.

Ready to Eat Food

Canned ravioli or soup. This stuff is vile compared to homemade. Just keep a few tins.

Canned chili

Canned sardines, tuna, or salmon

Canned fruit

Candy

Ready made cookies 

Raisins

Granola

Nuts

Camping food. Some of these are not bad. Test a couple of brands before buying a lot of them. Most of the time all you need is boiling water to prepare. 

Aside from these base ingredients, make sure you also have salt, pepper or any other essential spices.

 

Ingredients for meals that requires prep

Dry pasta

Pasta sauce or tinned tomatoes if you have other spices available.

Rice

Dried beans

Canned corn 

Canned tomatoes (for ease, stock up on diced tomatoes, but any will do)

Canned beef, chicken and shredded pork. I found great prices at my local Costco for these. I use them now for quick meals. A little BBQ sauce over shredded pork and you can make sandwiches. With the chicken, I make chicken salad. With the beef, add canned potatoes and beef gravy and you have a reasonable beef stew.

Jelly/jam

Peanut butter

Bread (Bread is a one off on what you have available unless you have the ability to bake in your circumstances.)

Crackers

Dry milk

For really long term storage, you can buy large cans of dehydrated beef, chicken, cheese, and vegetables. Most of these foods will last up to 20 years.

Speaking of vegetables, what I missed most during our 3 weeks without power were fresh vegetables. I'm not fond of canned veggies but if that's all you have it's better than nothing.

The list above is strictly for emergencies where you have limited access to fuel, water, and light. If you're simply stuck in the house but still have power, you can use your regular pantry.

Please keep your food pantry stocked. I remember ice storms where I simply could not get out of my driveway. Always have enough food and ingredients to make it through temporary isolation. 

Have enough emergency pantry food for a week, but a month is better.

And lastly, rotate your food. I routinely check my food for expiration dates. When I clean out my pantry (usually 2-3 times a year), I make sure the oldest canned food is up in front so I use it first. Even now, if I pull out a can of corn, I do a little digging to make sure it's the oldest I have.

It takes a little more work, but I've lost enough food in my lifetime to expiration dates.

FYI: Most food is perfectly edible past the expiration date, so don't fret too much. But always throw out any cans that show signs of bulging at the top.

Finally, don't forget pet food and food for family with dietary restrictions.

Can you make it for a whole month without shopping for food?

Shopping at Amazon? Start Here.

Comments

Mike Keyton said…
Good advice but gloomy in the context of the media message being pumped out over here in increasingly hysterical tones ie we're heading for World War III. Are you getting a similar uniform message in your media? You wonder where it's coming from and why
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: That's interesting that you should say that.

I use MSN as my home page so I can keep up with news. They tend to be a little lefty with their opinion articles but I read everything with a grain of salt and investigate all claims.

Yesterday, there was an article about the best places to live (in the US) in case of a nuclear war. That's something I rarely see coming from a left leaning editorial source.

Lots of pushing going on by bullies. I'm afraid Europe is in greater peril than the US. Not that someone won't try to attack us, but we're a lot bigger, land wise.

When you have wild cards in play it's hard to predict the future.

I was speaking more about natural disasters, of which I have had more experience than I'd like.

Nuclear war is a far different and more dangerous animal. But it's something maybe I should look into for a future post. I'd have to do some more research on what fallout can do to soil, water, and animals first.

Thanks for the idea.
Luba said…
Such a great post, Maria. Sooo informative!!! 💖 Since the Derecho, this August will be 4 years. We were without any power for a week. Some other places in town it was 2 weeks, we thankfully bought a generator during that time at Lowe's. There were so many of us, and the line was like a snake. Lowe's had a good price on them and boy that was Godsend. Looking back I'm not sure we could've made it without one. It was sooo hot here in August and no air, not good! After a couple of days, Lowe's advertised a sale. It was during that time, I made a list of what needs to be done during a disaster emergency. I've since bought and invested a lot of food storage supplies from a great company. I've prepared some of these dishes and they're pretty good. Did you know they sell honey in a bag. I've got lots of freeze dried items and a lot that's on your list. I do not have candy or crackers, and some others. I have a stove. I have a grill (charcoal). Ya know Maria, theres nothing like a disaster that makes you look at life a little differently.

Did I tell you the final count of trees lost? 94K... The city sent me a letter and told me they'll be in my neck of the woods 🤭 in 2026 to plant the 2 trees I lost. 😞 Shoot, I may as well plant my own!!!
Maria Zannini said…
Luba:
re: 94K
Wow! It's nice the city offered to replace the trees though.

There was a timber forest on the road we drive regularly. Every tree was snapped in half. Every tree.

In a way, I'm kind of glad when disaster strikes. It makes me see where the chinks in my armor are. The same with covid isolation. There were so many shortages, but we were safe. I was only running low on alcohol. It took 9 months before they could restock it but I still had enough.

I've always found Lowes very good during natural disasters. They've never price gouged in my experience. Walmarts are hit or miss.
In our town (in east Texas), they kept the price of gas down, but in a city 15 minutes away the prices were ridiculous. I think people turned them into the attorney general.

re: honey
Real honey never goes bad and it doesn't need special handling. I've got a 5 gallon pail of pure honey that's over 20 years old. Ironically, I only use honey for recipes and not in drinks so it's lasted a long time. I imagine putting it in a bag makes it more convenient to pour though.
Luba said…
You know, I never thought about how a disaster can make one see things a little differently. It is nice for the city to replenish our trees. They've done and planted a lot around businesses, and other used buildings and parks. I've seen some residential areas getting saplings. Yes, Lowe's is very reasonable during disasters. Walmart was sold out, however. Yeah, price gouging was addressed here too. A big no-no.

I love honey my mom had a ritual for the a.m., warm water, with a spritz of lemon and a teaspoon of honey. In the a.m. cleans your insides. She was an RN. But also liked holistic remedies. Don't get me wrong she believes in medicine for cures, but liked holistic remedies too. Hugs!!! 🤗

Night Maria, sweet dreams!