Eclipse Behind Me, Surgery Ahead


What started out as a simple invitation to see the solar eclipse on the neighbor's telescopes turned into an impromptu party.

The cloud cover was dense, but it pulled apart just as the sun reached totality. It was absolutely awesome. Pictures don't do it justice.

My neighbor did a time lapse from his telescope photos, but missed actual totality, which was a bummer. His telescope pictures were much clearer than my cell phone shots though.

It got really dark. All the birds and insects went silent. Thinking back, the only sounds I heard were people gasping as the sun reached totality. No wonder ancient people sacrificed victims to the gods. It must've been end of the world stuff to them.

To us, it was wondrous. I'm so glad we got to experience it.

 

This is a shot of the eclipse with the solar filter glasses over the camera lens. A lot  more cloud cover here.

 

***

As of this writing, nearly all my projects have been completed. I still have to do tons of laundry, mow one last time, and make a walk-through the property to see if I missed anything. 

Surgery is on Wednesday.

After Greg's knee surgery, he was out of commission for months. (By out of commission, I mean: no deep-bending work--like pulling weeds or heavy lifting.) I don't know if it was just him, or if all knee patients take that long. If it's true, I am going to be one antsy patient. 

I probably won't post next Monday. We'll see how I feel.  

(Not so) funny story: I met a man at Costco with the telltale knee surgery tape, but he was also wearing a brace. It turns out he and I have the same surgeon. He had gone through all the mandatory physical therapy, but something went wrong and his knee started to bulge out. They had to go back in and fix the buckle. The brace was to keep the leg stabilized.

I'm hoping it was just him. He did look a bit older than me and not as strong, so maybe that's why he had difficulties. Greg's recovery was textbook. He recovered precisely at the rate the surgeon said he would. It reminded me that no surgery (or recovery) is the same.

All I know is that I'm ready. That knee joint is giving out within minutes now. It's time.

Wish me luck. I'll post again as soon as I'm up to it.


Today's Amazon Deals

Comments

Mike Keyton said…
I’ve already wished you al the best, Maria, but I forgot to thank you for those stunning pictures 👍
Jackie said…
Here is to a textbook recovery for you too Maria and more importantly the end of your worrying about the forthcoming surgery itself once Wednesday is behind you.

I had a neighbor years ago who had a knee replacement surgery and he swore it was the best thing he ever did for himself once the healing process was behind him.
Luba said…
I also wished you a quick recovery my friend... However, this may be the time the universe is telling you to relax and take it easy. Take your time to rest and recover, Maria. A lot of folks might rush to get back on that proverbial horse, but validate yourself to heal... My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday! Take care! 💖🌹
Stacy McKitrick said…
Hope all goes well and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Maria Zannini said…
Mike: Those pictures were amazing. The next time I see him I'll ask if I can share them on the blog.
Maria Zannini said…
Jackie: Two years out, and Greg says the same thing. You just have to reach rock bottom of mobility before you undergo something like that.

Like the surgeon told me: You know when you have to have it done. Your body will tell you.
Maria Zannini said…
Luba: Spring being spring, it's my busiest time. It's so easy for things to get out of control.

But I think I'm ready. If Greg can handle the mowing and minimal weeding, I think I can use the next few months to rest and recuperate.

If I can regain my mobility, it'll be worth it.

Thank you!
Maria Zannini said…
Stacy: Thanks, Stacy. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
Luba said…
🤗💖🌹