Buh-Bye, Walker


I'm sorry for not posting regularly, but I'm still feeling too rough to think of something interesting to say. I'll give you the highlights around here.

Post knee replacement surgery:

Mobility is pretty good. My knee hasn't quite straightened on its own yet, but it can with applied pressure. My only two issues is that my stamina has fled to Jamaica, and my hip joint won't stop aching.

They tell me the hip issue could be one of several things but most likely it's because the leg is relearning how to walk properly again, and the hip joint is saying: Nope. Not on my watch.

Makes for very sleepless nights.

I'm cooking again, with Greg's help. He fetches and carries and I make the meal. I'm also feeding the dogs and cat again since I'm up way earlier than Greg (Damn, hip joint!)

I made one trip to the garden. I'm mad I even bothered going through all that trouble to sow that garden. So many things didn't make it. Some failures were due to weeds, others to grasshoppers. The only plants doing well are tomatoes, potatoes, squash, and plums.

The grasshoppers took out all my green beans and brassicas. For some reason my pepper plants are tiny. They may take off later in the year. They do prefer hot weather, and we've had a very long spring. Fortunately, I overwintered several pepper plants in pots and I'm getting peppers from them now.

I was going to replant the stuff that didn't make it, but I think I'll call it a wash for this year. I really don't have the energy to chase after their welfare.

Greg is still doing the outside work, like feeding chickens and walking the dogs.

I do what I can to lessen some of his workload, but some days it wipes me out. I find myself taking naps in the middle of the day. I keep looking for rest but never find it thanks to that dull ache. That's the discouraging part.

Technically, it's only been about a month. I'm told I still have two more months before I see some semblance of normal activity, and a whole year before the knee is completely back in spec.

Greg keeps telling me that in a year I'll say this was the best thing I've ever done. Right now, that's hard to believe.

The knee is better, but I'm a long, long way from what I was able to do a month ago.

At least the walker is gone. The cane is more of a precautionary tool when I'm outside. I'm mobile enough when I'm at home and on familiar surfaces.

Is anybody gardening? I need to live vicariously through you.

****

If you're shopping on Amazon, I'd be grateful if you started off from this link.

Talk to you soon.

Comments

Mike Keyton said…
Glad things are looking up, Maria. I took the liberty of sharing your posts/experience with my sister in law. She is on the same journey as you but two weeks behind. I thought they would encourage and resonate with her. Shared experience etc.
Maria Zannini said…
I hope she has a fast recovery. The first couple of weeks are miserable, but things do get better.

Although I keep a cane with me, I'm quite ambulatory. I've gone back to most of my usual activities unless they require heavy lifting or trudging through rough terrain.

My goal now is to regain my stamina. I still tire out quickly.