Happiness is an Organized Pantry

I wasn't going to post today because we haven't done anything interesting. We did get a lot of chores done, like weeding, mowing, and organizing my back pantry.

We put in a channel drain in the front driveway. During heavy downpours it can get a little flooded. The grated drain should help. 

Our neighbors noticed it right off and asked who installed it because they wanted one too. Obviously, they don't know us too well. LOL!

They're a good 25 years younger than us, but they regularly hire out. It's great if you have the money, but most jobs around the property is nothing more than grunt work, digging ditches, moving rock/dirt, or building stuff. It's not hard.

The only thing I won't let Greg do anymore is get on the roof. For myself, I'm okay on a ladder, but I prefer to have a spotter because while I can still climb like a monkey, I am also an expert klutz. 

The garden is starting to slow down, probably because it's been so hot! We're expecting 103 degrees tomorrow. The only bright spot? Two of my dragon fruit are starting to put out buds!!

Greg is already dreaming of mass production, but I'm taking this in teeny-tiny baby steps. I've never propagated something like this. I have no experience with cacti, especially for the monsters they grow up to be. I'm just thrilled they're starting to bud. If I get fruit next year I will be over the moon. The real test will be winter. They cannot survive any freezing weather, and we get a few weeks of that every year. Fortunately, this year, they'll remain small so I can easily protect them. Next winter may be a different story.

I have been doing lots and lots of freeze drying. I think I can now call myself fairly proficient. There haven't been any problems I haven't solved on my own.

I do want to make a proper post on freeze drying, but I'll put that off another few weeks. What I can tell you is that I'm glad I bought the machine. 

Greg was sure right from the start, but I was on the fence because it's so damn expensive. 

But...now that I've gotten good at this, I can plainly see the benefits. Not only do I have more room in my freezer, but I have a ready supply of ingredients that I would have otherwise had to run to the store to get because it's not something I normally store.

This includes things like sour cream or heavy cream. They always tend to expire before I can use it all. Now I just take what I need and reseal the jar.

My other favorite use are for eggs. When we have a glut in the spring, it's a pleasure to whip these up and freeze dry them. 2 tablespoons of egg powder with 2 tablespoons of water equals 1 whole egg. 

There are things the freeze dryer cannot do right in my opinion. I dislike freeze dried greens like bok choy or spinach. They simply disintegrate when rehydrated.

On the other hand, nothing, and I mean nothing beats rehydrated salsa, marinara sauce, or any soup. It tastes like you just made it fresh. I wish I could give you a taste test because it almost seems inconceivable. I'm a very harsh critic when it comes to food, but freeze dried sauces and soups are perfection. Milk, cream, and sour cream also rehydrate perfectly.

About the only thing I cannot stand is the noise of the machine. Call it a blessing or a curse, but even at my age, I have acute hearing. When this machine is on, anyone can come up on me and I wouldn't hear them. I wish the machine lived in another building because it gives me a headache. I look for reasons to be away from the house. 

Most owners don't seem to mind the noise, but I do. Me and my Vulcan hearing. 

In Other News: I lost my doctor. She decided to retire. I'm really sorry about that. I liked her very much. Even though I only saw her a couple of times a year at best, we kind of kept in touch with each other's lives. We just clicked. She's had a rough life though. Every time I saw her she's had some horrific tragedy. Her grand baby died of sudden crib death, her husband dropped dead while walking the dog, and she even lost her home to a fire, not to mention the numerous surgeries she's had to endure. She deserves to retire and enjoy her life. I wish her well.

Now for the arduous task of finding another doctor. Any advice?


**I'm an Amazon affiliate. If you happen to be shopping Amazon, be a pal and start from this link. Thanks! I appreciate it.

This post may contain affiliate links. I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Click here for my disclosure policy

 

Comments